Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday's Thoughts

Christmas is over. The tree is put away. Decorations are packed and lights stripped off of the patio banister. I can never stand to leave christmas stuff up after christmas. I find it depressing to constantly be reminded that the holidays are over. And, besides, after having my tree up since October, I was quite ready to have the 10 sq ft of floor space back that it was consuming.

The week before christmas my sister-in-law gave us her piano that she was replacing. Once the guys got it up the stairs and in the door, they made it no further than the entry way with it and there it sat for almost a week. Once the tree came down, I rearranged the living room and moved the piano in. I topped it with a pretty green satiny table runner that I had found at the dollar store last week (was that really only a week ago?!) and arranged our hymnals and a few other trinkets along the top. It looks so nice.

I think we will play it more now that it's no longer in the cold empty entry way. I already sat down and played for a few minutes today. I'm so very rusty.

We got to go to my family's house for Christmas. We missed Thanksgiving with them and I was afraid we weren't going to make Christmas either, but we hitched a ride with cousins who were headed that way anyway. Our stay was less than 24 hours, but we had a blast. Mashed potatos, corn, green beans, turkey, brisket and mexican casserole for christmas dinner and pumpkin pie, cheesecake, cracker candy, dipped pretzels and dipped peanut butter and ritz sandwhiches for dessert and snacks. I, of course, over ate. And enjoyed every bite.

We spent the day hanging out, eating, playing games. We checked out the local walmart for their after christmas markdowns. It's the weirdest thing, but the Fredericktown walmart always has the best christmas clearance. It's become an annual must-do. I found four-packs of red and gold glittered ornaments for next year's tree for .50 a pack, 6-packs of votive candles in vanilla cookie, cinnamon, and cinnamon apple scents for .50 a pack, cute christmas mugs for $1.50, plastic christmas cups for .50, a six-inch red pillar candle for $1.25 and canned snow for .62 a can. I love stocking on sales after christmas and then having a bunch of new decor to open up and use the next year. I opened one can of the fake snow when we got home and added 'frost' to my living room windows. I wanted it before christmas and wasn't able to get it, but now I'll leave it up with the snowflakes for a while longer. It is, after all, still winter. :)


I came away from christmas this year with pretty good loot. My wonderful hubby bought me the leather Steve Madden boots that I had fallen in love with on our christmas shopping trip the week before.

I absolutely adore them. I've been hunting for a comfy pair of boots for several years now. Last year he bought me leather high healed boots, and as much as I love them, the height on them kills my feet if I wear them for more than a few hours and walking for very long distances whatsoever in them is an absolute no-can-do. Which limits their wear time to sunday morning services and occasional wednesday night church sessions. So I am very ecstatic that I now have a warm comfy pair of boots that I can wear for whole days at a time if I so desire.

My wonderful and talented Mummy, gave me a quilt that she had worked on all year. It's so gorgeous. I'm thrilled to finally have something pretty to go on my bed.


Now if I can only stay motivated to make my bed every morning. :)

We also received a pretty reed diffuser from Jase's mom, which is at this very moment, filling my living and dining room with a lovely, cozy, cinnamon orange aroma, an acapella praise cd from the above mentioned si-in-law, an adorable cupcake themed calendar from another sister-in-law, a cute crocheted scarf and necklace (for me) from my litter sister, sweaters (for Jase) from my family, and various other fun items. We are very blessed.

I hope that all of you, my readers, had a lovely christmas and I send warmest wishes for a very happy new year.

May God Bless,

~Tonia

No comments:

Post a Comment