Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bread Recipe

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law Tyana Burks. This is the way she gave it to me and my tweaks and substitutes are in parenthesis...I use a stone ground whole wheat which is fine enough to use for the entire flour content...

3-4 C White Flour (Stone Ground Whole Wheat)
3 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 C Sugar (Honey)
4 1/2 t Yeast
1 T Salt
2 C Milk
1/2 C oil (homemade sugar free applesauce)
2 T Honey
2 Eggs
( I also like to add 1/4 C flaxseed)

Combine 1/2 C white flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt (and flaxseed). In a small saucepan heat the milk, oil and honey to 120-130 F. Add to dry ingredients. (Because I substitute honey for the sugar and applesauce for the oil, I heat the 2T + 1/2 C honey with milk, add that to the dry ingredients and then add the applesauce.)

Add the eggs. Stir until moistened. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl and cover and let rise until doubled; 30 min - 1 hr. Punch down. Divide into 2 to 3 portions depending on desired size of loaves. Shape and place into greased bread pans. Let rise until doubled; about 30 min. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 min or until golden brown.

Last time I made this batch I got 2 regular loaves out of it and had enough dough left for two mini loaves. The batch also splits in half very easily for one huge loaf or two smaller loaves.

I've also found that this recipe burns easily. I always set my oven to about 310-320 F and bake for a bit longer. It may just be that my oven gets hotter than the temp I set it at, but I don't have trouble burning anything else, so I tend to think it's just the recipe.

Hope everyone who tries this enjoyes it as much as we do. It is also great for dinner rolls, cinnamon tolls and pizza crusts.


One of my regular and mini loaves from my last batch.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm....wonder if I had to check a box before I could comment, cause now, see, I am commenting. I am going to have to try to make some bread sometime. I have only made it in the bread machine.
    ~cathy r.

    ReplyDelete