Friday, September 18, 2009

Cheesecake wonton bites...

I had a request for this recipe. Mine turned out pretty yummy but I didn't follow the cheesecake recipe very strictly so they probly could be better. I only had less then a package of cream cheese so instead of measuring out everything else into a third of what the recipe called for, I just kinda threw the ingredients in until they looked good. Lol. Usually that works just fine, but I think in this case it would be a better idea to measure things out accurately.

Wonton wrapper dough:

1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
2 c flour
1/3-1/2 c water

Combine the egg and salt and beat lightly. Mix in 1/4 c water. Add in flour and add the rest of the water as needed until a soft dough forms. Knead for about 5 min and the cover and let rest for 30 min. Roll out and cut into shapes. I just used a large biscuit cutter but any shape can be used as long as it can be shaped into a little cup. Or if you prefer to make little pockets or rolls you can cut into square or triangle shapes to fold around filling. The recipe that inspired me to try these suggested star shapes like this:



For cup shape, press cut outs into mini-cupcake tins. The wontons themselves only need about 5 - 7 min to bake but I've baked them up to 15 min depending on what the filling requires and they did not burn.

So far I have made about 34 wonton cups from the batch and I still have about half of the dough left. It freezes well, though, so I just pull it out and take what I want and then return the rest to the freezer well-wrapped.

Cheesecake filling:

3 (8oz) pkgs cream cheese
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp fround nutmeg

Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Add extract. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 min or until firm.

Spoon cheesecake into wonton cups. Topping can be added before or after baking depending on what the topping is. I used frozen blueberries so I added them before baking. Next time I will probably bake them without anything and then drizzle with chocolate or another topping after they are cooled...

Enjoy...

God bless,

~Antonia

1 comment: