Sunday, March 29, 2009

Balancing Act

9:24 pm


Jase and I are taking some pre-marital counseling sessions from the pastor of the church where my family is currently attending. This coming Thursday we have our third session out of four. Our most recent assignment was to make a list of areas in which we are different. I originally thought this would be a simple task but once we got past the initial obvious differences it ended up being a bit trickier than I thought. :) We got through it, however, and I thought it would make for an interesting blog entry. Here's our top 20.



- Most likely the biggest, most obvious difference between us is that Jase is outgoing while I tend to be very reserved. I cannot count the times that people have told me that they thought I was a stuck up snob when they first met me because I was so quiet. :P Jase on the other hand is like my dad. He can start a conversation with anyone, about anything, anytime, anywhere, no problemo. As a result he pulls me out of my shell and helps me to loosen up and I in turn tend to have a calming effect on him (or so he says).


- Jase is very much a people person and I tend to be a loner. He enjoys a crowd; I would much rather be by myself or one on one with someone.


- Jase talks more than I do. I love to listen. I would much rather sit and listen to a conversation than take part in it.


- When it comes to money Jase is a spender and I like to hoard. :D Jase's point of view is that money is made for the purpose of spending it. I agree to a certain extent but I also find satisfaction in setting money aside and watching a savings account grow. Apparently that doesn't do much for him. :P


- Jase is very much a night owl. His ideal schedule is to stay up past midnight and then sleep in past nine in the morning. Until I met him (at which point I seem to have somewhat adjusted to his schedule) I typically went to bed around nine at the latest and then would get up around six or seven in the morning. I still prefer that routine but seeing as how Jase doesn't function well early in the morning I've adjusted my sleeping schedule. :) I do hope, thought, that someday we can either find a balance or maybe even lean more towards an earlier schedule. We'll see.


- Jase grasps concepts and learns much more quickly than I do. And despite what he says I do NOT hang on to things better as a result. This leads me to my next point.


- Jase is a retainer. I am an airhead. I can learn things well if I have to, but it usually requires massive effort and unless I use them on a daily basis I very quickly forget. In college I would memorize what I had to for a test, regurgitate it and then politely forget it the next day. I HATED comprehensive finals. Jase is a different story. He is constantly astounding me with random details about anything and everything. Some of the things he remembers are things that he learned years ago or just happened to randomly read somewhere. I stand in awe. :)


- Jase is way laid back. Kind of a 'fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants' type person. What happens, happens and what doesn't, doesn't. I can't do that. I need a plan. I need a list. And I need to get things done.


- Jase likes to be on time. Even if it's only barely on time. He has a tendency to wait until the last minute possible and then rush, rush, rush to get somewhere on time. I plan out my day in advance and I usually get places at least a few minutes early.


- Jase tends to analyze and understand both people and situations very well. I tend to be rather oblivious. I live in my own little world. It's quite small. :P


- Jase has more patience than me. Much more patience. He's the oldest of fourteen. Enough said.

- Jase hates to sleep. This honestly blows my mind. I don't understand. I love sleep. I look forward to sleep. I basically die without sleep.


- Jase cries easily and often. :) I don't and don't.


- Jase doesn't like indoor animals, which has been a biggie for me to adjust to. I grew up with indoor animals for the majority of my life. I don't know if I'll ever convince Jase to let me have an indoor dog. :(


- Jase prefers dark chocolate. I prefer white or milk.


- Jase likes to cook. I like to bake.


- Although Jase may not love driving he doesn't mind it too terribly much. I hate driving. I loathe driving. I avoid driving.


- Jase loves sports. I can't say I hate them. But I don't love them. I did, however, to my great surprise, find myself watching and making at least somewhat intelligent remarks ( or at least I thought they were) about a basket ball game that Jase was watching the other night. :)


- Jase loves video games. Graphic, gory, violent video games. *shudder*


- Jase loves anything citrus. My citrus likes are limited to orange soda and orange chicken.


The list could go on but it just gets sillier, so that's all for now.


I LOVE YOU DARLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Antonia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're a falling star, You're the getaway car.
You're the line in the sand when I go too far.
You're a swimming pool on an August day
And you're the perfect thing to say.

And you play it coy, but it's kinda cute
When you smile at me you know exactly what you do
Baby don't pretend that you don't know it's true
'Cause you can see it when I look at you.

You're a carousel, You're a wishing well
And you light me up when you ring my bell
You're a mystery, you're from outerspace
You're every minute of my every day

And I can't believe that I'm your woman
And I get to kiss you baby just because I can
Whatever comes our way, we'll see it through
'Cause you know that's what our love can do.

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times
It's you, it's you, you make me sing.
You're every song, you're every word, you're everything
You're every song, and I sing along
'Cause you're my everything.

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My word. That was stinking cute.

    A couple months ago you would have had to have Valentina (sp?) on the list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Your mom said that you are a lot like me and Jase is like Don I kinda blew it off until I saw this post. All I can say is enjoy the ride. It will be fun. It has been so good for both of us to be different from each other, because we have grown so much and balanced each other out. Our children are very glad to have us both as we would be so unbalanced with out the other :-) But the important things are the same, foundational stuff, like who God is, what love and grace are, etc...

    -Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute, I feel I have gotten to know you both better. Yes, opposites do attract, our marriage of 42 years is made up of many opposites. Don't get in a hurry, 57 days until the wedding, these will always be precious moments to you both. Your site will help you to always hold on to these times.

    Jane & Junior Wilkerson

    ReplyDelete